The Jewish communities are celebrating the days of Purim. The celebration recalls the story of the Book of Esther, heroine of the tribe of Benjamin, who revealed the plot to kill the Jews, plotted by Haman, to her husband, King Ahasuerus.
Purim means “festival of fate”. In fact, Haman decided on the day of the murder by casting lots. All patterns are altered, such as Carnival. The presence of God is hidden, the name of God is never written in the book, the name of God is evoked with sentences. Ester is the instrument of God to save the people.
The name Esther is derived from “Haster” which means “hide”. Esther hides her husband that she is Jewish. Esther prepares a hidden strategy. Ester is the silent action of God. The man of God has to say “no”to his ego because God must act in his life.
Just as Esther mask her identity, the people turn to the streets with masks. A special party for children, changing identity and receive gifts.
Purim is preceded by a fast to commemorate Esther’s fasting before saving Israel.
- What Is Purim?? (graftedinelena.wordpress.com)
- Purim, Esther, and Her Absence at Qumran (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Israel Insights . (greatriversofhope.wordpress.com)
- Happy Purim to TWC’s Jewish Friends (winecommonsewer.com)
- “Telling the Purim story through food” and related posts (jewishrefugees.blogspot.com)
- Hidden Treasures in the Book of Esther (returnofbenjamin.wordpress.com)
- Retelling Purim: Q & A with Mordechai, Esther, Vashtie and Hayman (jta.org)
- A Purim Story (Esther’s Fast) (paradoxparables.wordpress.com)
- Turning the world upside-down on Purim (jta.org)